A 36-year-old taxi driver was sentenced to three years’ imprisonment and ordered to pay a fine of $1.7 million when he appeared before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan for trafficking over eight pounds of cannabis.Sherwin Edwards Clarke was found guilty of the charge which stated that on February 11, 2019, at Garnett Street, Kitty, he trafficked 3.86 kilograms of cannabis.Police evidence was led by Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) Prosecutor Narissa Leander. Magistrate McLennan in her ruling explained that Clarke, who was unrepresented, opted to change his plea and confess to the charge while leading his own defence.However, she informed him that it was too late in the trial for him to change his plea.According to the Chief Magistrate, the prosecution proved that Clarke had knowledge and was in control of the drug on the day in question.The taxi driver told the court that he has learnt from his mistake and in the future will check his passengers’ luggage before placing them in his car.After being found guilty, Clarke said: “I’m thankful for all the lies that witnesses told and this hurt my family and my unborn child”.Reports are that Clarke, on the day in question, was the lone occupant of his car when he was stopped and searched by CANU ranks at Garnet Street, Kitty, when the illegal drugs were discovered in his car.
The Geopark Society is led by President Charles Helm, and along with him is a delegation consisting of Linda Helm, Sue Kenny, Jim and Helen Kincaid, April Moi, Larry White, and Mayor Darwin Wren.The past summer was a great one for exploration and discovery according to members of the Geopark Society. Among the discoveries were new bird trackways, dinosaur trackways which are likely the oldest in the proposed geopark, giant clam fossils, and a marine reptile.A number of projects are also being worked on including hiking trail improvements, and the Tumbler Ridge trail has also been completed. It’s a 27 kilometre trail that surrounds three quarters of the community and leads to geological sites of interest.- Advertisement -An update on the status of the geopark is expected within ten days.
0Shares0000Former Arsenal and France star Thierry Henry, who is set to make his full coaching bow with AS Monaco in France’s Ligue 1. © AFP/File / Valery HACHEMonaco, Monaco, Oct 13 – Former Arsenal star Thierry Henry was on Saturday named as Monaco coach, taking his first job in club management after leaving his position with the Belgian national team.The 41-year-old French World Cup winner, who had been working as an assistant to Belgium coach Roberto Martinez since 2016, returns to the club where he began his professional career. Henry, who has signed a contract with Monaco until June 2021, said it was “fate” that he had returned to the Principality.Henry replaces Leonardo Jardim, who in 2017 guided Monaco to their first Ligue 1 title since 2000. He was sacked on Thursday after a string of poor results left Monaco in the relegation places.The former striker will be joined by Joao Carlos Valado Tralhao, under-23 coach at Benfica, and Patrick Kwame Ampadu, coach at Arsenal’s academy and father of Chelsea player Ethan Ampadu.Henry graduated from Monaco’s youth system and made his debut for the club in 1994.He notably scored seven goals in the 1997-8 Champions League as the Monaco team of the time, then coached by Arsene Wenger, reached the semi-finals, where they lost to Juventus.– ‘Can’t wait’ –“It is with great pride that I am delighted to announce that I have accepted the position to become the manager of AS Monaco FC,” he said on Twitter.“I was fortunate to receive some very attractive offers over the last few months but Monaco will always be close to my heart.Henry with Monaco teammates Victor Ikpeba and John Collins in 1997 © AFP/File / ALAIN FULCONIS“Having started my footballing career with this great club, it seems like fate that I will now begin my managerial career here too.“I’m incredibly excited to be given this opportunity but now the hard work must begin. Can’t wait.”After spending five seasons as a player with Monaco, Henry went on to play for Juventus, Arsenal, Barcelona and the New York Red Bulls.While at Arsenal, he was the Premier League’s top scorer for four seasons and won two league titles. He has been tipped as a future manager of the London club.“A big opportunity with @AS_Monaco, a club close to your heart — and we’ll be rooting for you,” a tweet from Arsenal said.Henry scored 51 goals in 123 appearances for France, winning not only the 1998 World Cup but also Euro 2000.After the duo oversaw Belgium’s 2-1 win against Switzerland in the Nations League on Friday, Martinez said Henry “has the potential to become a great coach”.Henry’s first game in charge will be against Strasbourg in the league on October 20 with a must-win Champions League tie against Club Brugge four days later.Monaco chief executive officer Vadim Vasilyev said Henry could “count on our trust and all our support to bring a new dynamic to the team and carry out the mission”.“His knowledge of football, his passion for the game, his high standards and his commitment to our colours make his nomination a reality.“Thierry is both aware of the task ahead and eager to start his new job.”0Shares0000(Visited 6 times, 1 visits today)
Holmes appealed the issue. It will appear on tonight’s Carson City Council agenda, though 7-Eleven representatives have asked for a two-week delay. Stephen Jamieson, an attorney for 7-Eleven Inc., said the company has agreed to limit operating hours and install video surveillance to address residents’ concerns. The store will sell only six-packs of beer – not singles – and will sell wine in containers of 750 milliliters or more. It will not sell hard liquor. Jamieson said that while alcohol takes up about 10 percent of the inventory, it is highly profitable, and means the difference between losing money and turning a profit. “If the beer and wine is not approved, it’s unlikely it’ll be built,” Jamieson said. Residents in the area have sought a more upscale retailer, which they say would be a better fit with the neighborhood’s lofty property values. But developers have repeatedly refused to oblige, arguing that there is not enough traffic from outside the neighborhood. Neighbors also objected when developers announced that a city-sponsored retail complex at Albertoni Street and Avalon Boulevard would include a dd’s Discounts, a low-end version of Ross Dress for Less. With 7-Eleven, residents are particularly worried that the store could lure armed robbers. The site is relatively close to the Long Beach (710), San Diego (405) and 91 freeways, which could make for easy getaways. “We know 7-Elevens get robbed a lot,” said Dianne Thomas, who was also involved in opposition to the apartment complex. “Their response time is 20 minutes. This is a bad deal all the way around.” Jamieson said the 7-Eleven would offer a desk and a phone that would be set aside as a sheriff’s substation. It would also buy a liquor license from another Carson business, meaning there would be no net increase in the number of liquor outlets in the city. “Hopefully, we can find some way to compromise with the community,” Jamieson said. firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! 7-ELEVEN: Neighbors say city has enough liquor retailers. Fear of robbery is also cited. By Gene Maddaus STAFF WRITER Residents of the Del Amo neighborhood of Carson are protesting plans for a new 7-Eleven convenience store, which they say could become a nuisance because it will sell beer and wine. The 7-Eleven corporation plans to build the store on a vacant lot at Wilmington Avenue and Del Amo Boulevard. “We don’t need it,” resident Olive Harris said. “We don’t need any more alcohol, more loitering and more noise.” Residents of the same neighborhood successfully fought a 196-unit apartment complex last year. The Renaissance Apartments would have been built in an empty field at University and Central avenues, about a mile-and-a-half from the proposed 7-Eleven site. Residents gathered petitions to block the apartments, which they feared would attract low-income renters. Opponents of the 7-Eleven argue that 80 other stores already sell liquor in Carson, many of which attract crime and vagrancy. The city’s Planning Commission approved the project, but Councilman Mike Gipson and Councilwoman Lula Davis-
A man was cleared after a summons he was given for a fine was sent to the wrong address.A man who was pulled over by Gardaí for performing a dangerous driving manoeuvre – has had his case quashed after his summons was sent to the wrong address.Malcom Nash, of 66 Cluain Na Rí, Ballina, Co. Mayo appeared at Letterkenny District Court yesterday. However, he never paid the fine – because he claimed the summons was sent to the wrong address.On the 22nd of May, 2015, Garda Martin Gallagher observed Mr Nash driving dangerously and pulled him over.Garda Gallagher told the court, “I observed a motor vehicle overtake a second vehicle in front of me going round a corner.“The manoeuvre also took place on a continuous white line, and I then indicated for the vehicle to pull over.“I asked for the driver of the vehicle for his license, but he didn’t have it on him, I then asked for his name and address.“He told me his name was Malcom Nash, and that he lived at 67 Cluain Na Rí, Ballina, Co. Mayo.“However, there was no payment made on the fine issued.The defendant was then asked to take the stand and give evidence.Mr Nash told the court, “I don’t think it’s possible that I would’ve given the wrong address, as I lived at that residence for over ten years!“I can’t see how an error was made, I definitely told him I lived at 66 Cluain Na Rí.“He was very, very fair with me on the day, and I wouldn’t have given him the wrong address.”When asked did he receive the summons – he said he did not as he didn’t have a very good relationship with his neighbours.“Communication wouldn’t be great, I don’t want to be talking bad about my neighbours, but I wouldn’t have must interaction with the, I’d know them to see that’s all.”Judge Paul Kelly struck out the fine and dismissed the case.MAN CLEARED OF DANGEROUS DRIVING AFTER SUMMONS SENT TO WRONG ADDRESS was last modified: December 17th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:courtsdangerous drivingfineMalcolm NashMayonewssummons
A grandmother attacked a young man with her crutch after a row over a snowball fight.Maria Sava appeared at Letterkenny District Court in Co Donegal today charged with assault Jordan Gibson. Garda Sinead McLaughlin heard how there had been a disturbance between a number of people at The Green, Convoy on December 8th, 2017.There had been an incident involving snowballs being thrown and Ms Sava came out of a house nearby.She began swinging her crutch about and struck Mr Gibson in the leg.When he began remonstrating with Ms Sava, aged 54, she then slapped him in the face.Mr Gibson said he did not receive hospital treatment but did have red marks on his leg and his face.Solicitor for Ms Sava, Mr Patsy Gallagher called the case ‘Grannygate’ saying matters escalated when they should not have.“She was swinging the crutch and she knows now that she should not have been. She reacted and it was unfortunate,” he said.A video taken on a phone of the assault was shown to Judge Kelly.The court heard that Ms Sava, from Glenfinn Street, Ballybofey, is on disability allowance and was using a crutch to walk into court.Judge Paul Kelly instructed Ms Sava to pay a witness in the case, Andrew Ponsonby €100 as he had travelled from Dundalk to give evidence.He then applied the probation act to Ms Sava in relation to the charge fo assault.Grandmother attacked man with crutch after snowball row was last modified: September 22nd, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:assaultconvoyCrutchFightMaria SavaSnowball
Parnell’s do the DoubleThe Parnell’s senior footballers and ladies, done the double at the weekend by winning both, the Tir Chonaill Gaels Easter football competitions. Played in arctic conditions and with the weather changing every five minutes, both the men’s and lady competition’s served up a feast of decent football for the few that turned up to watch.The ladies competition consisted of five teams with each of them playing eighteen minutes games on a round robin basis. Dulwich, TCG, Tara, Clonboney and Parnell’s made up the teams with Parnell’s beating the Tara in a very good final. The standard of ladies football on display was high with Caroline Benson from the Tara’s being presented with the best ladies footballer of the tournament. The men’s completion consisted of four teams (TCG, Parnell’s, St Kiernan’s and CuChullains from Newcastle) playing thirty minute games on a round robin basis. The very first game between TCG and Parnell’s set the standard as the two teams played out an excellent game with the Parnell’s coming out on top 0-8 to 0-6. Seamus O’Carroll and David O’Sullivan were very much pulling the strings for the Parnell’s in that early game.Most of the games on the day were very close but it was evident that the Parnell’s were very much up for the tournament with their fine displays in every game. There was no surprise that the final was again played between the hosts TCG and Parnell’s. By half time the score was 0-4 to 0-2 in favour of Parnell’s with again Seamus O’Carroll getting the early scores with Marty McCoy and Brendan Friel getting the scores for TCG. The second half was an excellent fifteen minutes of football with the Gaels coming back to within a point but the Parnell’s had the last say, and it was only appropriate that the “player of the tournament” Seamus Stenson scoring the only goal to win the Francis O’Donnell cup for Parnell’s 1-7 to 0-6.The club want to thank all those that came down to watch the competitions as it was not a day for the faint hearted and also the referee’s Ger O’Shea, Conor Connelly, Maurice Carr and Daniel Friel for their excellent work.The club will be back to hosting its annual 7s tournament next year, but we hope the weather will be much kinder. GAA NEWS: TIR CHONAILL GAELS CLUB NOTES was last modified: April 1st, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:TIR CHONAILL GAELS CLUB NOTES
The chairman of the Donegal County Board has urged fans to be patient saying “I think tickets will come.”Sean Dunnion told DonegalTV that the county board is disappointed with the allocation but he feels that more tickets will come into the county through various ways. Simply click on the video to view.COUNTDOWN TO CROKER: DDTV – COUNTY CHAIRMAN PLEADS WITH FANS TO BE PATIENT FOR TICKETS was last modified: September 11th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DDTVdonegalGAASean Dunniontickets
THE DONEGAL County Board has released extra tickets for the All-Ireland final – but each club is getting just a handful each.The spare tickets are from the original allocation given to the county board from Croke Park.Each club has been given between five and seven extra tickets. With so many genuine fans unable to get tickets, it will surely spark another scramble for them tonight especially among clubs where tickets have already been given out.Clubs which still have to allocate tickets are expected to add the small number of extra tickets to their distribution lists.The shortage of tickets has sparked an unprecedented scramble for them.There is also considerable annoyance at the large number of terrace tickets sent to clubs by GAA HQ. Touts of course are cashing in; seeking payment of between 350 euro and 1,000 euro for tickets.The GAA has warned it will investigate any reported ticket touting. COUNTY BOARD RELEASES SMALL NUMBER OF EXTRA FINAL TICKETS was last modified: September 17th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:all-irelanddonegalextra ticketsKerrytickets
TUESDAY: The story behind the first map on which the name “America” appears will be told at 12:30 p.m. at the Oviatt Library Presentation Room at the California State University, Northridge, campus, 18111 Nordhoff St. A replica of the 1507 map will be on display. The Sun Valley Area Neighborhood Council will hold a board meeting at 6:30 p.m. at the Industrial Metal Supply building, 8300 San Fernando Road. For information, call (818) 768-8342. Los Angeles Unified School District will host a public hearing on sufficiency of textbooks and other instructional materials at 4 p.m. in the boardroom at 333 South Beaudry Ave., downtown Los Angeles. “Write it Right” campaign to help seniors with their college application essays will kick off at 9 a.m. at Polytechnic High School, 12431 Roscoe Blvd. Sponsored by Sen. Richard Alarcon, the effort involves a series of workshops at various high schools. For more information, call (916) 651-4020. Board of Police Commissioners will hear public comment on safety concerns from residents during its regular meeting at 9:30 a.m., Parker Center, Room 146, 150 North Los Angeles St. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week WEDNESDAY: Former U.S. Army Muslim Chaplain James Yee, who was imprisoned under what he said were false accusations of spying and aiding prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, will speak about his experiences, 12:30-2 p.m. in the Flintridge Room of the University Student Union at California State University, Northridge, 18111 Nordhoff St. Mail Datebook entries – including time, date, location and a phone number – to Daily News City Desk, P.O. Box 4200, Woodland Hills, CA 91365; fax (818) 713-0058; e-mail email@example.com.