ATT makes it harder for spam callers to reach you

first_img AT&T 5G network has some of the fastest speeds we’ve… 7 13 Photos Now playing: Watch this: Samsung, LG, Motorola: How soon can we expect 5G phones? Tags Share your voicecenter_img AT&T FCC Comments 9:40 Mobile Save me from robocalls, please. Angela Lang/CNET AT&T is now making its Call Protect fraud caller blocking service a default for its new mobile customers.If you’re an existing customer, don’t worry: The company says it’ll make this feature the default for you, too, in the coming months.AT&T said Tuesday it was able to make this change thanks to a ruling by the Federal Communications Commission last month that lets US carriers “aggressively block” unwanted robocalls, allowing them to turn on blocking features by default instead of as an opt-in service.This work comes amid growing a uproar from the federal government and customers over spam calls. The FCC has said that frustration has made robocalls the No. 1 complaint it receives from consumers, amounting to hundreds of thousands of grievances filed every year. The number of unwanted robocalls skyrocketed 46% from 2017 to 2018, according to caller ID service Hiya.For any existing AT&T customers interested in using Call Protect now, you can download the service as an app or turn it on through your MyAT&T account. The company has already rolled out a suspected spam caller alert for existing customers, too, and says it plans to add more tools to fight robocalls in the coming months.last_img read more

CEA Arvind Subramanium Asks RBI to Cut Rate to Spur Investment Drive

first_imgChief Economic Advisor (CEA) Arvind Subramanian has called for a rate cut that would boost investments to achieve the potential growth rate of 7-8%.Explaining the decline in inflation statistics, Subramanian stressed the need for the central bank to cut interest rates even before their next meeting scheduled for February 3, 2015.RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan has repeatedly said that a rate cut would be in avail, if the fight against inflation continues to produce expected results. ReutersThe CEA noted that the private sector is saddled with high debt and therefore it is imperative to public investment to help shore up business climate in India.To keep inflation under control, the RBI has held rates at 8% since the year began. The wholesale price index declined to a five-and-a-half-year low of zero percentage a week ago.The second-quarter GDP growth for Asia’s third largest economy has slowed down to ₹14.39 lakh crore, or 5.3% year-on-year. The first-quarter witnessed 5.7%, signalling revival.Subramanium added it would be a challenge to restrict the fiscal deficit to 4.1%. He hinted at an expenditure cut in the range of ₹60,000 to ₹80,000 crore to keep the deficit under control, reports Livemint.The CEA expects India to post a growth rate of 5.5% in the current fiscal year, up from 4.7% last year, on the back of inflation control and better current account deficit management.last_img read more

US orders more troops to Mideast to counter Iran

first_imgIraqi followers of Shiite Muslim cleric Moqtada al-Sadr wave national flags and raise protest signs as they demonstrate in the capital Baghdad`s central Tahrir Square late on 24 May, against involvement in any conflict between Iran and the United States. AFP File PhotoThe United States announced Friday it was deploying 1,500 additional troops to the Middle East in response to what the Pentagon called an “campaign” of recent attacks approved by Iran’s top leadership.The escalation of the US military presence follows a decision in early May to send an aircraft carrier strike force and B-52 bombers in a show of force against what Washington’s leaders believed was an imminent Iranian plan to attack US assets.And it comes as the Trump administration is planning to bypass congressional restrictions to sell arms to Saudi Arabia, a close US ally and Iran’s arch-enemy in the region.”This is a prudent response to credible threats from Iran,” said acting defence secretary Patrick Shanahan.President Donald Trump, who approved the deployment, called it “protective.””We want to have protection in the Middle East,” Trump told reporters as he prepared to set off on a trip to Japan.”We’re going to be sending a relatively small number of troops, mostly protective,” Trump added. “It’ll be about 1,500 people.”Fighter jets, missile battalionThe new deployment includes reconnaissance aircraft, fighter jets and engineers. Six hundred of the personnel belong to a Patriot missile defence battalion that had its deployment in the region extended.Pentagon officials said the move was necessary after multiple threatening actions and several small-in-scope attacks in May by Iranian forces, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, and “proxy” forces.Those include a rocket launched into the Green Zone in Baghdad, explosive devices that damaged four tankers in Fujairah near the entrance to the Gulf, and a Houthi drone attack against a Saudi oil installation.The initial threat came at the beginning of May, according to Rear Admiral Michael Gilday, director of the Pentagon’s Joint Staff.The US caught the IRGC attempting to covertly deploy “modified dhows capable of launching cruise missiles,” he said, referring to small traditional boats.”We view this as a campaign,” Gilday told reporters.The moves “are all part of a dangerous and escalatory strategy by Iran to threaten global trade and to destabilize the region.”‘Leadership’ in Tehran behind threats”We believe with a high degree of confidence that this stems back to the leadership of Iran at the highest levels, and that all of the attacks… have been attributed to Iran through their proxies or their forces,” Gilday said, citing still-secret US intelligence.US officials said the aim was both to extend greater protection to the 70,000 US forces deployed in the Middle East and Afghanistan, and to deliver a message to Iran to refrain from attacks.”We think that through a combination of a very measured deployment of assets as well as public messaging, we are again trying to underscore that we are not seeking hostilities with Iran,” he said.Gilday said the US moves have had some impact. When Washington first learned of Tehran’s alleged intent to launch attacks, it delivered a stern warning to Tehran “within hours” through an unnamed third party.Since then, the threat of the missile-bearing dhows appears to have subsided.Trump criticized for ‘escalation’However, the Trump administration continues to draw criticism that it has not clearly shown the need for an escalation.Members of Congress were also angered that Trump was overriding their block on delivery of lethal weapons to the Saudis.”More tactics with absolutely no strategy,” tweeted Democratic Senator Chris Murphy.”All that is happening now is escalatory move after escalatory move. Trump has ZERO plan for how this ends, and that should scare the hell out of everyone.”But Pentagon officials stressed that the US does not seek war with Iran.”We do not see these additional capabilities as encouraging hostilities. We see them as defensive in nature,” said acting assistant secretary of defence Katie Wheelbarger.”Our policy remains an economic and diplomatic effort to bring Iran back to the negotiating table to encourage a comprehensive deal that addresses the range of their destabilizing behavior in the region.”last_img

Housing complex for elderly gets its first occupant to be launched on

first_imgKolkata: Snehodiya, the air-conditioned living space for senior citizens at New Town, got its first occupant with the elderly Ghosh couple checking in on Saturday. Although the formal launch will be made by state Urban Development minister Firhad Hakim on June 25, the Ghosh couple was handed over the keys as a pre- launch procedure.The couple had sold off their home so they were allowed to let in. Their young nephew, who was present when the couple was handed over the keys, helped them unpack. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataSnehodiya, a project of West Bengal Housing and Infrastructure Development Corporation (Hidco) is a first-of-its-kind venture by any state government agency. Mackintosh Burn has constructed the building located just opposite Swapno Bhor, the senior citizens’ park. In fact, the idea of the senior citizens’ living space was born out from the success and popularity of Swapna Bhor as well as from the ambition to be an inclusive city that created housing for economically weaker section and now for the senior citizens. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in state”In both, there is the attempt only to recover the costs of construction and services from those who use it and there is no profit angle,” a senior official of Hidco said. Snehodiya re-interprets the nostalgia of the residents in a modern high-rise design, while retaining its fundamental Bengali essence of rooms built around a courtyard. Each suite is air-conditioned, properly furnished and has a TV set. There is an attendant on each floor and nurses are present on the ground floor medical unit to take care of elderly persons. Professional housekeeping, including laundry machine services, are available on the ground floor. A guest house with six rooms is ready as well. Snehodiya has 57 double bedrooms and 90 single bedrooms. It has been decided that 75 percent of the price paid on entry will be refunded to the occupants or their heirs in case of vacancy. The ambience is very thoughtfully created by principal architect Debmalya Guha of Pace Consultants with movie posters from the sixties to eighties framed on all floors. More than three hundred old movie posters selected carefully have been framed in printed aluminum sheets. The interiors evoke a sense of both nostalgia and intimacy with blown-up posters of yesteryear films and filmstars adorning the walls — familiar faces in a growingly unfamiliar world that the soon-to-be residents would have grown up watching. Most remarkably, there is an activity centre designed to offer space for teaching by residents who opt to do so for children from the economically weaker section families. A stationery general purpose shop near the gate of Snehodiya was opened on Saturday. An SBI ATM and a medicine shop will be opened shortly. Swapna Bhor now has more than 700 members and there is a freeze on new members (except those from Snehodiya, whose residents have been given opportunity to be members automatically) because the community building rooms are not large enough to accommodate more members.last_img read more