Investigations are underway after a charity donation box was stolen from the Whoriskey’s Christmas Lights display in Kerrykeel.The senseless act took place on Monday, where a box was taken from the grounds of the well-known home lights display at Gortcally.Each year for the past 16 years, local couple Mary and Michael Whoriskey illuminate their home and open their gates for the public to enjoy a dazzling lights display in their garden. The charity event raises thousands of euro for local charities each year. This year’s lights display is in aid of the Donegal Hospice and the local Mevagh Voluntary Fire Service.But the couple was shocked to discover yesterday that one of the donation boxes was taken from the grounds. The box was located next to a crib at the foot of the driveway, and clearly marked ‘Donation Box’.The box was stolen sometime between 3.30pm and 10.30pm, and Gardaí are appealing to anyone is the area to report any suspicious activity which may help recover the charity donations.It is not know how much money was in the box. But if anyone finds the box, empty or otherwise, they are being asked to report it as it may be a key piece of evidence for fingerprints. Anyone with any information is being urged to contact Milford Garda Station on (074) 915 3060Charity box theft won’t dim the Whoriskey’s Christmas spiritHeartless thieves steal donation box from charity lights display was last modified: November 27th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
A day before counting of votes polled in the general elections and the announcement of results, senior Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) MLA from Beed and former minister Jaydutta Kshirsagar on Wednesday joined Shiv Sena in the presence of president Uddhav Thackeray at Sena Bhavan. Mr. Kshirsagar was a minister of Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) in the previous Congress-NCP government.“I had decided to quit NCP long back. I worked tirelessly for the growth of NCP in Beed, but leaders from that party blocked me and tried to stop me from working,” said Mr. Kshirsagar. The former minister added that he felt insulted within the NCP and even his workers were asking about his next move. “One can tolerate insult only up to a point, it had reached the peak in my case,” he said. Mr. Kshirsagar is said to be unhappy over the importance given to Leader of Opposition in the Council Dhananjay Munde within the NCP and his nephew Sandip Kshirsagar, who is likely to be the party’s new face in Beed Assembly constituency. The former NCP minister had campaigned for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate from Beed Lok Sabha constituency Preetam Munde and had also met Sena president Uddhav Thackeray in Mumbai. Since then, speculations were rife about his quitting the NCP and joining Sena. “You will never regret the decision to join Sena. The popularity of the Sena is growing and large number of committed workers are coming to the party. Till today, the Sena never attempted to make inroads at Beed, but now that you are here, you can work as per your wishes for the growth of the party,” Mr. Thackeray reportedly told Mr. Kshirsagar.Meanwhile, NCP’s chief spokesperson Nawab Malik said Mr. Kshirsagar had mentally left the party long ago and had continued to remain a member formally only to save his position as MLA.“Kshirsagar quitting the NCP will not have any bearing on the party’s prospects,” Mr. Malik said.Mocking the decision, Mr. Munde said, “He deliberately chose this day. After the scale with which NCP will win Beed, the Sena would not have allowed him to join later,” he said.
An unrepentant Nasser Hussain finally named the three Indian “donkeys.”When former India cricketer Sanjay Manjrekar pressed Hussain to get the names that he referred to as donkeys few days ago for sloppy fielding, he hinted at Munaf Patel, Praveen Kumar and Parthiv Patil.Though he did not use the word donkey this time, his conversation on Skysports with Manjrekar suggested the names of these players.Hussain had made the donkey remark during Wednesday’s one-off Twenty20 match between India and England.Sitting in the commentary box during the fourth over of the England innings, he said: “I would say the difference between the two sides is the fielding. England are all-round a good fielding side. I do believe that India have few…3 or 4 very good fielders and one or two donkeys in the field still.”Hussain is the second ex-England captain to have raked up a controversy in the ongoing India tour of England.Former England skipper Michael Vaughan too had invited criticism for hinting at the use of Vaseline by Indian batsman V.V.S. Laxman to dodge the Hot Spot.
Advertisement It’s not a farewell, just a happy/sad “see ya soon.” But it’s still going to feel pretty weird when it finally sinks in, after Canada Day, that the beloved Toronto live venue Massey Hall will really, truly not be opening its doors again for at least two years.Sunday’s farewell show will be the last of three sold-out performances by seasoned Massey veteran Gordon Lightfoot, who’s already trod the boards in that storied, 124-year-old concert hall at least 166 times in his 79 years on this planet. After a staff party planned for July 3 — during which Deane Cameron, CEO of the Corporation of Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall, promises “you can be sure anyone who plays any kind of music will be up on that stage” — the tear-down begins towards a massive “revitalization” project that will include the restoration of 100 stained-glass windows ringing the theatre, the installation of removable seating on the floor, expansion of the downstairs Centuries lounge to create a secondary live venue beneath the main hall, and construction of a seven-storey tower to the south of the original building that will feature yet another 500-capacity live venue on the fourth floor. The plan is to reopen in the fall of 2020.As we prepare to bid temporary adieu to one of the cornerstones of our city’s endlessly lively music scene, the Star asked Canadian musicians who have been fortunate enough to play Massey Hall to share fond memories of the favourite shows they’ve seen and/or played there over the years. Unsurprisingly, we got a lot of enthusiastic responses. Twitter Facebook Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Advertisement