Adelaide court hears case on Lankan

“He claimed that the deceased was in fact his friend,” Mr Norman said. “[He] deliberately stabbed the deceased, into and in fact through, the deceased’s stomach,” Mr Norman said.“The force used by the accused was such that the blade damaged the deceased’s spine. “Part of the deceased’s intestine appeared through the wound in his stomach.”The prosecutor said Suppiah then repeatedly tried to blame another man for the death.He told police he only had the knife to cut apples and another man grabbed his hand and forced the knife into the victim’s stomach. A Sri Lankan refugee accused of murder allegedly stabbed another refugee through the stomach with such force the blade damaged the victim’s spine, an Adelaide court has heard, according to Supreme Court jury heard Ketheshwaran Sivaperuman, 35, bled to death at his Elizabeth South home in January last year. The man accused of his murder, 31-year-old Satheeswaran Suppiah, lived in a property on the other side of Griffiths Street and had been drinking vodka on the day of Sivaperuman’s death. Prosecutor Mark Norman said Suppiah hid a large kitchen knife in his shorts, got into an argument with the victim and stabbed him. Both men came to Australia as refugees from Sri Lanka. Suppiah has pleaded not guilty to the charge of murder.The trial is before Justice David Lovell. “He claimed [the other man] … deliberately used the accused’s hand to stab the deceased.“That account is nonsense and it is clear from witnesses who say [the other man] wasn’t even near the deceased.”The court heard both men had previously lived together, but the victim moved into a house across the road after the pair had a falling out. read more

Manchester attack victims family urges Government to open its eyes

first_img“Her life was taken away after 18 short years by evil, evil men prepared to ruin lives and destroy families, for what?”Georgina was as beautiful on the inside as she was on the outside, with a smile that was never ending.”She always had big hugs for everyone and her life was blooming like the flowers she loved.”The family paid tribute to the “wonderful police and rescue services” and thanked the public for their support.They said the “hugs, love and kind words” from people in their local community had had “a profound effect” on them.Lesley Callander found her daughter on a stretcher as paramedics fought to save her life in the aftermath of the explosion. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. “Here was a girl who was loving life,” they said.The family’s statement said: “On the 22 May 2017 our lives changed forever as our amazing daughter Georgina Bethany Callander was senselessly taken away. The night’s event was supposed to have been a memorable one for the young music fan.She had previously met Grande and posted a picture of the pair together on social media.As the date of the concert came closer, excitement reached fever pitch, her mother said.”She kept texting me telling me her tummy was turning over.”She was so, so excited.”Speaking through tears, her father Simon said he felt guilty for not being with his daughter that evening.”I should have been there to hold her hand, when she was lying there,” he said.center_img Manchester bombing victim Georgina Callander’s family has hit out at the Government over her death, saying it must “open its eyes” or more parents will lose children to terror.The 18-year-old was killed in the blast shortly after her favourite artist Ariana Grande left the stage at the Manchester Arena on Monday.In a statement released through Greater Manchester Police, her family said the teenager’s life had been cut short by “evil, evil men prepared to ruin lives and destroy families”.It added: “I wish I could say that Georgina is one of the last to die in this way but unless our Government opens its eyes we know we are only another in a long line of parents on a list that continues to grow.” The teenager, from Chorley, was in her second year of studying health and social care at Runshaw College in Leyland, Lancashire, and had previously been a pupil at Bishop Rawstorne Church of England Academy.She had recently passed her driving test, was “doing great” in her exams and had been accepted into Edge Hill University. She described her desperate efforts to bring comfort to the teenager’s final moments to ITV news on Saturday.”I was just screaming and shouting at her. I was rubbing her hands, I was rubbing her tummy, I was rubbing her face,” she said.”I don’t know what was running through her mind.”It was just a flicker of hope that she’d move her hand or move her leg or try and open her eyes a little, just to acknowledge that I was there, just to let me know that she was very, very poorly but she knew that I was there.”last_img read more