Ousted ambassador calls Trump diplomacy ‘amoral’

first_imgThe former US ambassador who was a key figure in President Donald Trump’s impeachment trial criticized US foreign policy on Wednesday as “amoral” and based on threats.Marie Yovanovitch, who Trump abruptly recalled last May from her post as US ambassador to Ukraine, spoke at Washington’s Georgetown University where she received a prize from the school’s Institute for the Study of Diplomacy. “Right now, the State Department is in trouble,” she said. “Senior leaders lack policy vision, moral clarity and leadership skills.” “To be blunt, an amoral, ‘keep-em-guessin’ foreign policy that substitutes threats, fear and confusion for trust cannot work over the long haul,” Yovanovitch said. Trump last year disparaged Yovanovitch in a telephone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky which was the center of his impeachment for abuse of power.The House of Representatives impeached him for pressuring Ukraine to announce investigations, including into his political opponent Joe Biden.In October Yovanovitch testified to Congress that she was recalled due to “unfounded and false claims by people with clearly questionable motives.” The 33-year diplomatic veteran said she was subjected to a smear campaign orchestrated in part by Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani.She also leveled criticism at State Department leadership, and by extension Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, for failing to push back against forces that “apparently hijacked our Ukraine policy,” or to support her in the face of “dangerously wrong” attacks.The Republican-majority Senate acquitted Trump this month.In her Georgetown address, Yovanovitch called for the State Department to develop a stronger relationship with Congress, to offer more training and flexibility for diplomats and to take seriously the job of countering misinformation. “Truth matters,” she said. The Trainor Award she received is presented to “an outstanding American or foreigner for distinction in the conduct of diplomacy,” according to Georgetown. Previous recipients include Madeleine Albright and Kofi Annan. Topics :last_img read more

Jobs law protest caused more than Rp 55b in damage: Anies

first_imgThe Jakarta administration has suffered at least Rp 55 billion (US$3.74 million) in losses from damaged public facilities as a result of rallies against the recently passed Job Creation Law, Governor Anies Baswedan has said.He said the administration was in the process of surveying the property damage in the capital but that the most significant costs so far had come from damaged Transjakarta bus stations.“There are 20 bus stations that were damaged, which caused approximately Rp 55 billion in losses. But we have not yet concluded the calculation,” he said on Friday during a visit to the Tosari ICBC bus station in Central Jakarta. “Insya Allah [God willing] all the [damage] will be identified by this afternoon and repaired as soon as possible,” he added.Read also: Facilities set ablaze as clashes break out in Jakarta during jobs law protestIn addition to the bus stations, Grand Theatre cinema in Senen, Central Jakarta, was set on fire, as well as several book kiosks within the compound.Thousands of protesters, mostly university students and workers, held rallies at two main points in Central Jakarta: near the Presidential Palace and in front of the House of Representatives compound. The rallies then moved to other locations, included Senen and the Hotel Indonesia (HI) traffic circle in the heart of the capital.On Thursday night, Anies called on protesters to disperse shortly after meeting with them at the HI traffic circle. He promised that the protesters’ demands would be passed on to the central government on Friday.President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo reportedly held an internal meeting to discuss the jobs law with Vice President Ma’ruf Amin on Friday morning.Topics :last_img read more

Auckland Grammar talks to students about dangers of Porn

first_imgAuckland Grammar calls in leading sex educator to talk to students about the dangers of pornTVNZ One News 9 March 2017Family First Comment: Traction on our campaign www.PornInquiry.nzPornography has been added to the curriculum at one of the country’s leading secondary schools.Auckland Grammar has called in leading sexuality educator Maree Crabbe after it found that porn could be causing damage to its students.Headmaster Tim O’Connor says staff and parents were also invited along.“Just firstly to say actually are you aware of the addictive behaviour of porn and its accessibility and then be able to say to young men, can you tell the difference between real world behaviour and what a porn world behaviour is,” he said.Mr O’Connor says it is now part of their regular classroom conversations, with pornography being a mental health and well-being issue.A group of 15 year-old students spoke to 1 NEWS about their experiences of the programme, after their parents gave permission to talk. “Porn videos quite often show male dominance in the videos as she was telling us, putting the girls in all these painful different positions, and that’s not what it should be like in real life,” says Ollie. Prime Minister Bill English says he is happy with the status quo. “In the end people make choices. We want them to make good choices and if the school is taking the responsibility of trying to shape young people’s choices I think that’s a good thing,” says Mr English.READ MORE: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/auckland-grammar-calls-in-leading-sex-educator-talk-students-dangers-porn “The thought of getting to that stage where you become reliant on it and it becomes a need, that whole idea really scares me,” says Richard.There’s no specific Government funding for the health impacts of porn.The chief censor wants the Government to implement a comprehensive approach that includes education and discussion, while Family First wants a Parliamentary inquiry.last_img read more

Franklin County Commissioners To Vacate Former County Roads

first_img(Image: Franklin County Government)Update (June 6 @ 5:55 a.m.)Franklin County Commissioners have agreed to revise the ordinance regarding vacating old county roads.According to the Franklin County Observer, if a landowner objects to the mass vacation of roads during a public hearing, the former road adjacent to their property will remain as is. Other roads would be vacated on August 1.The revised ordinance will be presented during the Franklin County Commissioners meeting on Monday June 9.In order to vacate a former county road Indiana Code dictates county officials to publish a notice with the names and address of adjacent landowners, send a notification to landowners by mail and hold a public hearing.First Report (June 3)Commissioners in Franklin County are planning to officially vacate some old country roads on July 1.The impacted roads are not currently handled by Franklin County Highway Department and are not in the official county road system, according to the Franklin County Observer.The select roads that will be vacated will be announced in a few weeks. A county official said the roads are not well-traveled and are more less some dead end roads in the county.Landowners will assume ownership of the former roadways.The decision to vacate the roads could end a few years of controversy regarding some roads. Some people wanted the roads vacated, while others wanted the roads open to the public or have the highway department reassume maintenance duties.last_img read more

Downtown Greensburg mural set for Friday unveiling

first_imgGreensburg, In. — The Arts & Cultural Council of Decatur County and Main Street Greensburg will unveil another downtown mural Friday at 11 a.m. The latest artistic addition to downtown is on the side of the Decatur County Community Foundation building at the corner of Broadway and Main Streets.Local resident Haley Rose Burton is the artist and has named this work “Keep on Truckin.” Burton is studying for her Master’s degree at the Pratt Institute in New York City.The mural program is designed to inspire the community by challenging viewers to dream, enhance the downtown area and encourage public art in other parts of the city.last_img read more

Brazil gives equal pay to men’s and women’s national players

first_img Loading… “Since March of this year, CBF has made an equal value in terms of prizes and daily rates between men’s and women’s football,” he said. “That is, the players earn the same thing as the players during the calls. What they receive by daily call, women also receive.” Brazil’s women’s national players will be paid the same as male players for representing their country, Brazil’s football association (CBF) has said. All players will be granted the same daily and prize amounts for taking part in preparation periods and games. CBF president Rogerio Caboclo says the measures were put in place in March. Caboclo says it also applies to performances at international tournaments such as the World Cup and Olympics. read also:Ronaldinho lands in Brazil after Paraguay detention “There is no more gender difference, as the CBF is treating men and women equally,” he said. “What they will gain by conquering or by staging the Olympics next year will be the same as the men will have.” Australia, Norway and New Zealand are among the nations to previously decide to pay their men and women internationals the same amount. Brazil’s women’s team have not played since March, when many competitions around the world were postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted Content10 Of The Best Places Around The World To Go Stargazing10 Actors And Actresses Whose Careers Were Boosted By Soap OperasWhat Are The Most Delicious Foods Out There?Best Car Manufacturers In The World8 Fascinating Facts About Coffee9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The WorldCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?The Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreDisney Princesses Reimagined As “GoT” CharactersThe Best Cars Of All TimeCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Waylast_img read more

Fabregas loving life at Chelsea

first_imgCesc Fabregas admits he has sparked his football career back to life since returning to London. Fabregas will always have a soft spot for Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger. “I will always be grateful,” he said. “For a young player he is the best coach in the world. “You make a mistake and he includes you (in the team), you make another mistake and he includes you, you get booed and he includes you. “He doesn’t care. He believes in you. He always had confidence in me.” Arsenal turned down an option to acquire him last summer, which made it easy for Fabregas to join Chelsea. “I returned to London because I try to go to the places where I feel loved and happy,” he said. “The change from Arsenal to Chelsea from a sporting point of view has not been that big. “Had I made that change three years ago, I guessed it would have been a bigger adjustment but not now. Chelsea has changed, it’s not the team that I expected. “Now it’s a team that wants to have a starring role. It wants to dominate games, have more possession. From a football standpoint is similar to Arsenal.” More importantly, Fabregas feels appreciated. “I feel really valued and respected more than in Spain but it’s normal,” he said. “I spent eight years at Arsenal and now I have returned. “I’m having a good season. Chelsea has given me security. I am rediscovering myself in football terms. I feel important, I wouldn’t say as the guiding captain but almost. “It’s just that I play further back and that makes me feel more active in games and hence, I enjoy myself much more. I touch the ball 90 to 100 times per game and I missed that. “I hope I can win everything with Chelsea but I don’t want the Champions League to become an obsession.” Once his playing career is over, the World Cup winner with Spain has designs on coaching. “I’m learning from the best of the best and I feel very fortunate,” he said. “I think I have the personality to become a coach but we shall see. I feel I will end up coaching one day.” Fabregas has scored two goals and set up 15 more in 21 Premier League appearances for Chelsea. “But in the end, life has many turns, and more so in football. We had a big rivalry with Mou (Mourinho), we were against him but I never hated him.” During his years at Arsenal, Mourinho was not the only Chelsea figure that Fabregas disliked. “Chelsea was the team that I wanted to beat the most,” he said. “I also had a lot of spats with (John) Terry but in the end, we are people. I’m not driven by hate.” Past rivalries did not prevent Fabregas from moving to Stamford Bridge last summer on a five-year contract. He needed a fresh start after three difficult seasons at Barcelona. “At Barcelona, things didn’t go as I had desired but I’m nevertheless proud of what I did,” the 27-year-old said. “I won titles although I was not recognised.” What the Spain international says he has discovered is that Mourinho has many attributes, just as his former Barca coach Pep Guardiola has. “They are both winners,” he said. “They both hate to lose. They are much more similar than people think. They worked differently but they both like to play attractive football.” Despite now playing for former Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho, a coach he grew to dislike during an eight-year spell at Arsenal and a three-year stay in Barcelona, the Chelsea midfielder could not be happier. In an interview with Spanish newspaper El Pais, Fabregas said: “Three years ago I wouldn’t have imagined working under Mourinho. Press Associationlast_img read more

Mourinho: Hazard can be the best

first_imgJose Mourinho has tipped Eden Hazard to become the world’s top player after the Chelsea forward signed a new five-and-a-half-year contract on Thursday. The Belgium international joined Chelsea from Lille in June 2012 and has since made a total 147 appearances for the Blues, scoring 43 goals. He won the PFA Young Player of the Year and Chelsea’s Player of the Year awards at the end of last season, having finished with 17 goals in all competitions. Press Association Chelsea manager Mourinho had criticised Hazard in May last year, claiming “he is not the kind of player ready to sacrifice himself 100 per cent for the team”. The 24-year-old appears, however, to have earned the trust of his manager, having started every one of Chelsea’s league matches in the current campaign. “I am very happy that Eden has signed a new contract,” Mourinho said. “It shows he believes in the club’s coaching staff and players to help him become the best player in the world. “He is already a top player and his evolution has been fantastic. He is still very young and he can become the best.” Hazard won the Europa League in his first campaign at Stamford Bridge and also helped Belgium reach the World Cup quarter-finals in Brazil last summer. After scoring 13 goals in 36 appearances for the Barclays Premier League leaders so far this season, Hazard told the club’s official website: “I am very happy to sign a new contract with Chelsea. “Since I came here in 2012 I have always felt good and the club has been very supportive to me. The manager has helped me improve a lot, the fans have been fantastic and I have an amazing understanding with my team-mates. “I always try to give pleasure to the supporters with my style of play and it is nice to know they appreciate my work. “I hope we can repay that support by winning lots of trophies, beginning with the Capital One Cup at Wembley, and after that, we can push hard towards the end of the season.” Hazard recognises Mourinho has to be tough with his players if they under-perform, and insists he can take any criticism. “Even in the bad moments he has been with me, we can speak honestly with each other,” Hazard added. “If I have played well he tells me, but if I haven’t played so well he also lets me know. I like the kind of relationship we have. He gives me the freedom to play and I just try to do my best.” Hazard’s target is an explosive finish to the campaign with Chelsea, saying: “I hope I can reach maybe 20 or 25 goals before the end of the season, that would be very good for me and the team.” last_img read more

Historic decline in carbon emissions due to lockdown

first_imgThere has been a “historic” decline in global carbon dioxide emissions due to the corona virus pandemic.According to a report released Thursday by the International Energy Agency, there has been a record decline in worldwide emissions of carbon dioxide due to the COVID-19 lockdowns. Seeing that a majority of people are being forced to stay home, use of fossil fuel has plunged.Emissions of carbon dioxide is the greenhouse gas most responsible for global warming, scientists report. Scientists say the emissions have caused the planet’s temperatures to rise to levels that cannot be explained by natural factors.The IEA executive director, Fatih Birol, released a statement following the report, saying “The Covid-19 pandemic represents the biggest shock to the global energy system in more than seven decades,”…” a record annual decline in carbon emissions of almost 8%.”Birol also said that it may be too early to determine long-term impacts, and that overall the drop in emissions is nothing to celebrate.“Resulting from premature deaths and economic trauma around the world, the historic decline in global emissions is absolutely nothing to cheer,” said Birol. “And if the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis is anything to go by, we are likely to soon see a sharp rebound in emissions as economic conditions improve.”last_img read more